Recurrent hepatic artery thrombosis in three instances of liver transplant in a single patient: Case report
Introduction: Orthotopic liver transplantation (OLT) is currently the treatment of choice for patients with end-stage liver disease. Vascular complications can trigger a failure of treatment, so it must be watched closely.
Clinical, diagnostic evaluation and interventions: We report the case of a patient taken three times to liver transplantation due to recurrent hepatic artery thrombosis. The perfusion defect persisted after the third transplant, although the short-term course was favourable.
Conclusion: Hepatic artery thrombosis varies in its clinical presentation, but it usually requires early and aggressive management.
2. Itri JN, Heller MT, Tublin ME. Hepatic transplantation: postoperative complications. Abdom Imaging. 2013;38:1300-33.
3. Langnas AN, Marujo W, Stratta RJ, Wood RP, Shaw BW Jr. Vascular complications after orthotopic liver transplantation. Am J Surg. 1991;161:76-83.
4. Shin M, Song SH, Kim JM, Kim SJ, Joh JW, Lee SK, et al. Effectiveness of intraportal prostaglandin E1 after liver transplantation. Transplant Proc. 2012;44:500-4.
5. Miyagi S, Kawagishi N, Nakanishi W, Fujio A, Miyazawa K, Maida K, et al. Risk factors for hepatic artery thrombosis alter microsurgical vascular reconstruction in liver transplantation. Transplant Proc. 2013;45:1994-6.
6. Fan J, Nishida S, Selvaggi G, Levi D, Tekin A, Weppler D, et al. Factor V Leiden mutation is a risk factor for hepatic artery thrombosis in liver transplantation. Transplant Proc. 2013;45:1990-3.
7. Norhover J, Terblanche J. Bile duct blood supply: its importance in human liver transplantation. Transplantation. 1978;26:67-9.
8. Shaked A, McDiarmid SV, Harrison RE, Gelebert HA, Colonna JO 3rd, Busuttil RW. Hepatic artery thrombosis resulting in gas gangrene of the transplanted liver. Surgery. 1992;111:462-5.
9. Wellings RM, Olliff SP, Olliff JFC, Deakin M, Alton H. Duplex Doppler detection of hepatic artery thrombosis following liver transplantation. Clin Radiol. 1993;47:180-2.
10. Fouzas I, Sklavos A, Bismpa K, Paxiadakis I, Antoniadis N, Giakoustidis D, et al. Hepatic artery thrombosis after orthotopic liver transplantation: 3 patients with collateral formation and conservative treatment. Transplant Proc. 2012;44:2741-4.
The publisher (Sociedad Colombiana de Anestesiología y Reanimación S.C.A.R.E.) retains copyright for the published articles.
Creative Commons License
Articles published by Colombian Journal of Anesthesiology are licensed under the Creative Commons 4.0 license: Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs: CC BY-NC-ND.