Cumulative Sum learning curves (CUSUM) in basic anaesthesia procedures
Objectives:To create Cumulative Sum learning curves - CUSUM - for 6 anaesthesia procedures.
Methodology: We assessed 764 orotracheal intubations, 251 spinal anaesthesia procedures, 189 epidural anaesthesia procedures, 143 subclavian vein catheterizations, 135 radial artery catheterizations, and 100 internal jugular catheterizations in 4 anaesthesia residents, and developed CUSUM learning curves.
Results: In endotracheal intubation we found the following: 75% of the learners achieved 95% success with 65 ± 24 cases; in spinal anaesthesia, 50% of the learners attained the 85% success rate with 35 cases; in epidural anaesthesia, 100% of the learners attained 80% success with 13 ± 5 cases; in subclavian vein catheterization, 100% of the learners reached 80% success with 21 ± 6 cases; in radial artery catheterization, 25% of the learners achieved an 80% success rate with 39 cases. For internal jugular catheterization it was not possible to collect sufficient information to report statistically significant data.
Conclusions: CUSUM charts are tools that allow monitoring and early detection of changes in psychomotor learning in anaesthesia, providing meaningful information in relation to quality standards.
2. Lindenburg IT, Wolterbeek R, Oepkes D, Klumper FJ, Vandenbussche FP, van Kamp IL. Quality control for intravascular intrauterine transfusion using Cumulative Sum (CUSUM) analysis for the monitoring of individual performance. Fetal Diagn Ther. 2011;29:307-14.
3. Papanna R, Biau DJ, Mann LK, Johnson A, Moise Jr KJ. Use of the learning curve-cumulative summation test for quantitative and individualized assessment of competency of a surgical procedure in obstetrics and gynecology: Fetoscopic laser ablation as a model. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011;204:218.e1-9.
4. Guasch E, Díez J, Gilsanz F. Monitoring skill acquisition in obstetric epidural puncture at a university hospital using the cumulative sum method. Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim. 2010;57:11-5.
5. Davies OL. The Design and Analysis of Industrial Experiments. 2nd ed London: Longman; 1978. p. 57-93.
6. Correa JB, Dellazzana JE, Sturm A, Leite DM, de Oliveira Filho GR, Xavier RG. Using the Cusum curve to evaluate the training of orotracheal intubation with the Truview EVO2 laryngoscope. Rev Bras Anestesiol. 2009;59:321-31.
7. Bouchacourt JP, Castromán P. Orotracheal intubation training: Assessment with the cumulative sum method. Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim. 2007;54:349-54.
8. De Oliveira Filho GR. The construction of learning curves for basic skills in anesthetic procedures: An application for the cumulative sum method. Anesth Analg. 2002;95:411-6.
9. Kestin IG. A statistical approach to measuring the competence of anaesthetic trainees at practical procedures. Br J Anaesth. 1995;75:805-9.
10. Noyez L, Control charts. Cusum techniques and funnel plots. A review of methods for monitoring performance in healthcare. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2009;9:494-9.
11. Williams SM, Parry BR, Schlup MM. Quality control: An application of the Cusum. BMJ. 1992;23:304-13.
12. Ramírez LJ, Moreno MA, Gartdner L, Gómez LM, Calderón M, Sáenz X, et al. Modelo de enseñanza de las habilidades psicomotoras básicas en anestesia para estudiantes de ciencias de la salud: sistematización de una experiencia. Rev Colomb Anestesiol. 2008;36:85-9.
13. Kopacz D. QA in regional anesthesia training: Quantity or quality? Reg Anesth. 1997;22:209.
14. Biau DJ, Landreau P, Graveleau N. Monitoring surgical performance: An application of industrial quality process control to anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2010;18:1263-8.
15. Leandro G, Rolando N, Gallus G, Rolles K, Burroughs AK. Monitoring surgical and medical outcomes: The Bernoulli cumulative SUM chart. A novel application to assess clinical interventions. Postgrad Med J. 2005;81:647-52.
16. Grigg OA, Farewell VT, Spiegelhalter DJ. Use of risk-adjusted CUSUM and RSPRT charts for monitoring in medical contexts. Stat Methods Med Res. 2003;12:147-70.
17. Lim TO, Soraya A, Ding LM, Morad Z. Assessing doctors' competence: application of CUSUM technique in monitoring doctors' performance. Int J Qual Health Care. 2002;14: 251-8.
18. Naik VN, Devito I, Halpern SH. Cusum analysis is a useful tool to assess resident proficiency at insertion of labour epidurals. Can J Anesth. 2003;50:694-8.