Postoperative (pressure) alopecia: A case report after orthopedic surgery pediatric and literature review
Introduction: Pressure alopecia (PA) is an infrequent entity presented by patients undergoing extensive surgery.
Objective: To report the case of a patient under 14 years of age undergoing orthopedic surgery of the pelvis and femur. Also, we present a review of the literature.
Results: PA has been related to prolonged surgical time and possibly to the continuous pressure generated by head position during the intervention. It is considered a self-limiting adverse effect derived from anesthesia, which is clinically evidenced during the early postoperative period.
Conclusion: Ensuring continuous repositioning of the patient's head during the procedure is the main recommendation for its prevention.
2. Hanly AJ, Jorda M, Badiavas E, Valencia I, Elgart GW. Postoperative pressure-induced alopecia: report of a case and discussion of the role of apoptosis in non-scarring alopecia. J Cutan Pathol. 1999;26:357-61.
3. Abel RR. Postoperative (pressure) alopecia. Anesthesiology. 1964;25:869-71.
4. Lawson NW, Mills NL, Ochsner JL. Occipital alopecia following cardiopulmonary bypass. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1976;71:342-7.
5. Lee C, Choi P, Scott G, Arkader A. Postoperative alopecia in children after orthopaedic surgery. J Pediatr Orthop. 2012;32:e53-5.
6. Boyer JD, Vidmar DA. Postoperative alopecia: a case report and literature review. Cutis. 1994;54:321-2.
7. Steinmetz JA, Langemo DK. Changes in occipital capillary perfusion pressures during coronary artery bypass graft surgery. Adv Wound Care. 1996;9:28-32.
8. Poma PA. Pressure-induced alopecia: report of a case after gynaecologic surgery. J Reprod Med. 1979;22:219-21.
9. Khalaf H, Negmi H, Hassan G, Al-Sebayel M. Postoperative alopecia areata: is pressure-induced ischemia the only cause to blame? Transplant Proc. 2004;36:2158-9.
10. Dominguez-Aunon JD, Garcia-Arpa M, Perez-Suarez B, Castano E, Rodriguez Peralto JL, Guerra A, et al. Pressure alopecia. Int J Dermatol. 2004;43:928-30.
11. Ferran NA, Dharmarajah R. Pressure alopecia following blunt trauma. Injury Extra. 2006;37:200-1.
12. Eldred WJ. Occipital alopecia. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1977;73:322.
13. Ben-Amitai D, Garty BZ. Alopecia in children after cardiac surgery. Pediatr Dermatol. 1993;10:32-3.
14. Gershan LA, Esterly NB. Scarring alopecia in neonates as a consequence of hypoxaemia-hypoperfusion. Arch Dis Child. 1993;68:591-3.
The publisher (Sociedad Colombiana de Anestesiología y Reanimación S.C.A.R.E.) retains copyright for the published articles.
Creative Commons License
Articles published by Colombian Journal of Anesthesiology are licensed under the Creative Commons 4.0 license: Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs: CC BY-NC-ND.