The ultrasound-guided erector spinae plane (ESP) block in chronic pain due to bone metastasis: case report
The article describes the use of the bilateral erector spinae plane block at the level of T7, as an alternative technique outside the operating room to do contrast magnetic resonance images in a patient with chronic metastatic pain in the dorsal region, with a pain score of 10 in the visual analogue scale. Ten minutes after the block, the pain dropped to 2/10 in the visual analogue scale, until it finally disappeared. Two weeks later, the pain came back with a visual analogue scale rating of 5/10-a considerably lower level as compared to the pain before the procedure.
2. Forero M, Adhikary SD, Lopez H, et al. The erector spinae plane block a novel analgesic technique in thoracic neuropathic pain. Reg Anesth Pain Med 2016;41:621-627.
3. Forero M, Rajarathinam M, Adhikary S, et al. Continuous erector spinae plane block for rescue analgesia in thoracotomy after epidural failure: a case report. Case Rep 2017;8:254-256.
4. Orozco E, Serrano RE, Rueda-Rojas VP. Erector spinae plane (ESP) block for postoperative analgesia in total radical mastectomy: case report. Colombian Journal of Anesthesiology 2018;46:66-68.
5. Hernandez MA, Palazzi L, Lapalma J, et al. Erector spinae plane block for surgery of the posterior thoracic wall in a pediatric patient. Reg Anesth Pain Med 2018;43:217-219.
6. Hernandez MA, Palazzi L, Lapalma J, et al. Erector spinae plane block for inguinal hernia repair in preterm infants. Paediatr Anaesth 2018;3:298-299.
7. ForeroM, Rajarathinam M, Adhikary SD, et al. Erector spinae plane block for the management of chronic shoulder pain: a case report. Can J Anaesth 2018;65:288-293.
8. Tulgar S, Selvi O, Senturk O, et al. Clinical experiences of ultrasound-guided lumbar erector spinae plane block for hip joint and proximal femur surgeries. J Clin Anesth 2018;47:5-6.
9. Chin KJ, Adhikary S, Forero M. Is the erector spinae plane (ESP) block a sheath block? A reply. Anaesthesia 2017;72:916-917.
10. Yamak Altinpulluk E, García Simón D, Fajardo-Pérez M. Erector spinae plane block for analgesia after lower segment caesarean section: case report. Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 2018;65:284-286.
11. El-Boghdadly K, Pawa A. The erector spinae plane block: plain and simple. Anaesthesia 2017;72:434-438.
12. Adhikary SD, Pruett A, Forero M, et al. Erector spinae plane block as an alternative to epidural analgesia for post-operative analgesia following video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery: a case study and a literature review on the spread of local anaesthetic in the erector spinae plane. Indian J Anaesth 2018;62:75-78.
13. Luis-Navarro JC, Seda-Guzmán M, Luis-Moreno C, et al. The erector spinae plane block in 4 cases of video-assisted thoracic surgery. Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 2018;65:204-208.
14. Nandhakumar A, Nair A, Bharath VK, et al. Erector spinae plane block may aid weaning from mechanical ventilation in patients with multiple rib fractures: case report of two cases. Indian J Anaesth 2018;62:139-141.
15. Fusco P, Carlo DI, Scimia S, et al. Could the new ultrasound-guided erector spinae plane block be a valid alternative to paravertebral block in chronic chest pain syndromes? Minerva Anestesiol 2017;83:1112-1113.
16. Ahiskalioglu A, Alici HA, Ciftci B, et al. Continuous ultrasound guided erector spinae plane block for the management of chronic pain. Anaesth Crit Care Pain Med 2017;doi: 10.1016/j.accpm.2017.11.014. [Epub ahead of print].
17. Ramos J, Peng P, Forero M. Long-term continuous erector spinae plane block for palliative pain control in a patient with pleural mesothelioma. Can J Anaesth 2018;65:852-853.
18. Aydin T, Balaban O, Acar A. Ultrasound guided continuous erector spinae plane block for pain management in pulmonary malignancy. J Clin Anesth 2018;46:63-64.
19. Forero M, Rajarathinam M, Adhikary S, et al. Erector spinae plane (ESP) block in the management of post thoracotomy pain syndrome: a case series. Scand J Pain 2017;17:325-329.
The publisher (Sociedad Colombiana de Anestesiología y Reanimación S.C.A.R.E.) retains copyright for the published articles.
Creative Commons License
Articles published by Colombian Journal of Anesthesiology are licensed under the Creative Commons 4.0 license: Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs: CC BY-NC-ND.