Dipyrone-related granulocytopenia. Case report
Dipyrone has been positioned in several countries as one of the first over-the-counter options for pain management. Its possible adverse effects are known worldwide; among them, agranulocytosis is the most lethal, with a mortality of approximately 10% and an associated risk of 1 per 1,000,000 patients.
Clinical findings, interventions, and outcomes:
A case of a patient who, after 23 days of using dipyrone for pain management, developed a progressive drop in leukocyte count. Other potential causes of the event were ruled out. After dipyrone discontinuation, leukocyte counts returned to their normal values.
The probable diagnosis of granulocytopenia as a dipyrone-related adverse drug reaction was established. Although rare, dipyrone-related granulocytopenia, may occur in patients who use this medication for long periods.
2. Derry S, Faura C, Edwards J, et al. Single dose dipyrone for acute postoperative pain. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2010;9:CD003227.
3. Koster HT, Avis HJ, Stevens MF, et al. Metamizole in postoperative pain management. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 2012;156:A4323.
4. Montoya GA, Vaca C, Parra MF. Adverse events associated with tramadol and dipirona administration in a level III hospital. Biomédica 2009;29:369-381.
5. Salgado P, Suarez-de-la-Rica A, Maseda E, et al. Severe Mucor necrotizing fasciitis associated to dipyrone-induced agranulocytosis. Rev Esp Quimioter 2015;28:58-60.
6. Basak GW, Drozd-Sokolowska J, Wiktor-Jedrzejczak W. Update on the incidence of metamizole sodium-induced blood dyscrasias in Poland. J Int Med Res 2010;38:1374-1380.
7. Arbeláez-Quintero I, Jiménez-Cardozo N. Agranulocytosis risk during use of Dipyrone: a systematic literature review. Salutem Scientia Spiritus 2015;1:19-24.
8. Hamerschlak N, Cavalcanti AB. Neutropenia, agranulocytosis and dipyrone. Sao Paulo Med J 2005;123:247-249.
9. Iskra MP, Membrilla E, Isbert F, et al. Severe sepsis due to cervical abscess after agranulocytosis associated with metamizole. Cir Esp 2015;93:e83-e85.
10. Dorr VJ, Cook J. Agranulocytosis and near fatal sepsis due to ‘Mexican aspirin’ (dipyrone). South Med J 1996;89:612-614.
11. Blaser LS, Tramonti A, Egger P, et al. Hematological safety of metamizole: retrospective analysis of WHO and Swiss spontaneous safety reports. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 2015;71:209-217.
12. AronsonJK. Metamizole (dipyrone) A2 - Meyler’s Side Effects of Drugs. 16th ed. Oxford: Elsevier; 2016; 859-862.
13. Kose N, Akin. PP-216 a case of inferior acute myocardial infarction due to intravenous metamizole use. Int J Cardiol 2013;163 (3 suppl 1):S166.
14. Garcipérez de Vargas FJ, Mendoza J, Sánchez-Calderón P, et al. Cardiogenic shock secondary to metamizole-induced type II Kounis syndrome. Rev Esp Cardiol 2012;65:1138-1139.
15. Redondo-Pachon MD, Enriquez R, Sirvent AE, et al. Acute renal failure and severe thrombocytopenia associated with metamizole. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl 2014;25:121-125.
16. Machado-Alba JE, Urbano-Garzón SF, Gallo-Gómez YN, Zuluaica S, Henao Y, Parrado-Fajardo IY. Reacción de anafilaxia grave por dipirona sin antecedente de hipersensibilidad. Informe de caso. Rev Colomb Anestesiol 2017;45:8-11.
17. Stamer UM, Soehle M, Park T-W, et al. Anaphylactic reaction after intravenous dipyrone. Acute Pain 2007;9:221-227.
18. Hedenmalm K, Spigset O. Agranulocytosis and other blood dyscrasias associated with dipyrone (metamizole). Eur J Clin Pharmacol 2002;58:265-274.
19. Ip J, Uetrecht JP. In vitro and animal models of drug-induced blood dyscrasias. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol 2006;21:135-140.
20. Uetrecht JP, Ma HM, MacKnight E, et al. Oxidation of aminopyrine by hypochlorite to a reactive dication: possible implications for aminopyrine-induced agranulocytosis. Chem Res Toxicol 1995;8:226-233.
21. Hargis JB, La Russa VF, Redmond J, et al. Agranulocytosis associated with “Mexican aspirin” (dipyrone): evidence for an autoimmune mechanism affecting multipotential hematopoietic progenitors. Am J Hematol 1989;31:213-215.
22. Ibáñez L, Vidal X, Ballarín E, et al. Agranulocytosis associated with dipyrone (metamizol). Eur J Clin Pharmacol 2005;60:821-829.
23. Busto U, Naranjo CA, Sellers EM. Comparison of two recently published algorithms for assessing the probability of adverse drug reactions. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1982;13:223-227.