Submental intubation: A useful alternative for orthognathic surgery in patients with craniofacial malformations. Case report
Introduction: Submental intubation is a simple, fast and safe alternative associated with low morbidity rates as compared against tracheostomy. It is suitable for patients with nose obstruction due to craniomaxillofacial malformation.
Case report (clinical findings and therapeutic intervention): The goal of this study is to do a literature review of the procedure and a clinical case presentation of a patient with severe midface hypoplasia that as a consequence of the characteristics of the patient's malformation required submental intubation for surgical treatment.
Conclusion: The submental intubation technique is an excellent choice for orthognathic surgery in patients with facial malformations and airway problems.
2. Prakash VJ, Chakravarthy Ch, Attar AH. Submental/transmylohyoid route for endotracheal intubation in maxillofacial surgical procedures: a review. J Int Oral Health. 2014;6:125-8.
3. Vega Lagos OA, Suaza Ortiz EC, Londoño Giraldo G. Intubación submandibular. Rev Colomb Anestesiol. 2004;32:290-8.
4. Núñez Gil Z. Tunelización submandibular del tubo orotraqueal en el trauma maxilofacial. Descripción de técnica y comparación con la traqueostomia. Rev Odontol Dominic. 2005;11:29-33.
5. Navaneetham A, Thangaswamy V, Rao N. Submental intubation: our experience. J Maxillofac Oral Surg. 2010;9:64-7.
6. Kar C, Mukherjee S. Submental intubation: an alternative and cost-effective technique for complex maxillofacial surgeries. J Maxillofac Oral Surg. 2010;9:266-9.
7. Figueiredo Caubi A, Cavalcanti do Egito Vasconcelos B, de Holanda Vasconcellos RJ, Aráujo de Morais HH, Studart Rocha N. Submental intubation in oral maxillofacial surgery: review of the literature and analysis of 13 cases. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2008;13:E19-200.
8. Lima SM, Asprino L, Fernandez Moreira RW, de Moraes M. A retrospective analysis of submental intubation in maxillofacial trauma patients. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2011;69:2001-5.
9. Eisemann B, Eisemann M, Rizvi M, Urata MM, Lypka MA. Defining the role for submental intubation. J Clin Anesth. 2014;26:238-42.
10. Kumar Yadav S, Deo G. Submental intubation including extubation: airway complications of maxillomandibular fixation. Case Rep Anesthesiol. 2012;2012:841051.
11. Singaram M, Ganesan I, Kannan R, Kumar R. Evaluation of safety and usefulness of submental intubation in panfacial trauma surgery. J Korean Assoc Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016;42:99-104.
12. Chandu A, Witherow H, Stewart A. Submental intubation in orthognathic surgery: initial experience. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2008;46:561-3.
The Sociedad Colombiana de Anestesiología y Reanimación (S.C.A.R.E.) is the owner of all copyrights to any articles published in the journal. Published manuscripts become the permanent property of S.C.A.R.E. and may not be published elsewhere without written permission. S.C.A.R.E. keeps the right to use these manuscripts in any form, including print, video, audio and digital.
Creative Commons License
Open-access articles can be read, downloaded and shared on a free basis upon publication. The Journal publishes all articles under the CCBY- NC-ND license. Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs: CC BY- NC-ND. Of the six main licenses, this is the most restrictive because it only allows others to download and share articles as long as they give credit to the author, but they cannot in any way change the paper or use it commercially.