Very early phantom limb pain following amputation of a lower extremity: Case report
This is a case of a patient with very early occurrence (18 h) of phantom limb pain (PLP) following amputation of a lower extremity. The clinical data prior to the event, the pathophysiology, the clinical manifestations and the treatment of the phantom limb pain are described. A literature review on the current status of the PLP etiology and any analgesia interventions that may control its occurrence and intensity was performed and a description is given of the timely interventions affecting the outcome.
2. Vaquerizo A. Postamputation pain. Rev Soc Esp Dolor. 2000;7 Supl 11:60-77.
3. Nikolajsen L, Jensen TS. Phantom limb pain. Br J Anaesth. 2001;87:107-16.
4. Kehlet H, Jensen TS, Woolf CJ. Persistent postsurgical pain: Risk factors and prevention. Lancet. 2006;367:1618-25.
5. Shanthanna H, Huilgol M, Manivackam VK. Early and effective use of ketamine for treatment of phantom limb pain. Indian J Anaesth. 2010;54:157-9.
6. Jaeger H, Maier C. Calcitonin in phantom limb pain: A double blind study. Pain. 1992;48:21-7.
7. Nikolajsen L, Ilkjaer S, Kroner K, Christensen JH, Jensen TS. The influence of preamputation pain on postamputation stump and phantom pain. Pain. 1997;72:393-405.
8. Hanley MA, Jensen MP, Smith DG, Ehde DM, Edwards WT, Robinson LR. Preamputation pain and acute pain predict chronic pain after lower extremity amputation. J Pain. 2007;8:102-9.
9. Karanikolas M, Aretha D, Tsolakis I, Monantera G, Kiekkas P, Papadoulas S, et al. Optimized perioperative analgesia reduces chronic phantom limb pain intensity, prevalence, and frequency: A prospective, randomized, clinical trial. Anesthesiology. 2011;114:1144-54.
10. Kooijman CM, Dijkstra PU, Geertzen JH, Elzinga A, van der Schans CP. Phantom pain and phantom sensations in upper limb amputees: An epidemiological study. Pain. 2000;87: 33-1.
11. Cadavid A, Mayungo T. A very early phantom limb pain (PLP) after lower extremity amputation. A case presentation. Benzon Symposium No. 57, Acute Pain-Pathophysiology and Risk Factors for Chronification. October 4-7, 2010, p 49. Copenhagen, Denmark, consultado 7 Mayo 2013. Abstract disponible en: www.benzon-foundation.dk/sites/default/files/files/s57-abs tracts.pdf
12. Macrae WA. Chronic post-surgical pain: 10 years on. Br J Anaesth. 2008;101:77-86.
13. Flor H. Phantom-limb pain: Characteristics, causes, and treatment. Lancet Neurol. 2002;1:182-9.
14. Ruscheweyh R, Wilder-Smith O, Drdla R, Liu XG, Sandkùhler J. Long-term potentiation in spinal nociceptive pathways as a novel target for pain therapy. Mol Pain. 2011;7:20.
15. Van den Broeke EN, van Rijn CM, Biurrun Manresa JA, Andersen OK, Arendt-Nielsen L, Wilder-Smith OH. Neurophysiological correlates of nociceptive heterosynaptic long-term potentiation in humans. J Neurophysiol. 2010;103:2107-13.
16. Drdla R, Sandkühler J. Long-term potentiation at C-fibre synapses by low-level presynaptic activity in vivo. Mol Pain. 2008;4:18.
17. Ikeda H, Stark J, Fischer H, Wagner M, Drdla R, Jäger T, et al. Synaptic amplifier of inflammatory pain in the spinal dorsal horn. Science. 2006;312:1659-62.
18. Ypsilantis E, Tang TY. Pre-emptive analgesia for chronic limb pain after amputation for peripheral vascular disease: A systematic review. Ann Vasc Surg. 2010;24:1139-46.
19. Tsuneyosi I, Kanmura Y, Hidaka T, Yoshimura N. Beneficial effect of ketamine hydrochloride in phantom limb pain: Report of a case. J Anesth. 1997;11:309-10.
20. Hocking G, Cousins M. Ketamine in chronic pain management: An evidence-based review. Anesth Analg. 2003;97:1730-9.
21. Eichenberger U, Neff F, Sveticic G, Bjorgo S, Petersen-Felix S, Arendt-Nielsen L, et al. Chronic phantom limb pain: The effects of calcitonin, ketamine, and their combination on pain and sensory thresholds. Anesth Analg. 2008;106: 1265-73.
22. Klein T, Magerl W, Nickel T, Hopf HC, Sandkühler J, Treede RD. Effects of the NMDA-receptor antagonist ketamine on perceptual correlates of long-term potentiation within the nociceptive system. Neuropharmacology. 2007;52:655-61.
23. Florez S, Leon M, Torres M, Reyes F, Serpa J, Ríos A. Manejo farmacológico del dolor neuropático. Rev Colomb Anestesiol. 2009;37:356-72.
24. Finnerup N, Sindrup S, Jensen T. The evidence for pharmacological treatment of neuropathic pain. Pain. 2010;150:573-81.
The Sociedad Colombiana de Anestesiología y Reanimación (S.C.A.R.E.) is the owner of all copyrights to any articles published in the journal. Published manuscripts become the permanent property of S.C.A.R.E. and may not be published elsewhere without written permission. S.C.A.R.E. keeps the right to use these manuscripts in any form, including print, video, audio and digital.
Creative Commons License
Open-access articles can be read, downloaded and shared on a free basis upon publication. The Journal publishes all articles under the CCBY- NC-ND license. Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs: CC BY- NC-ND. Of the six main licenses, this is the most restrictive because it only allows others to download and share articles as long as they give credit to the author, but they cannot in any way change the paper or use it commercially.