Fetal anesthesia for twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome and fetal hydrothorax drainage: case report
Fetal surgery in utero is an alternative for treatable congenital malformations. Prognosis will improve with early correction. Once the surgical technique is planned, the anesthetist's knowledge of maternal and fetal physiology is crucial for the selection of the ideal anesthetic technique for each individual case, considering the type of surgical procedure and the expected degree of fetal stimulation. In this way, the optimal surgical field with maternal and fetal safety will be ensured. This article describes 1 case of twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome under spinal anesthesia and sedation, and a second case of hydrothorax drainage under sedation.
2. Fernando Vuletin S. Nuevos desafíos en cirugía fetal. Rev Chil Pediatr 2013;84 3:8.
3. Hoagland M, Debnath C. Anesthesia for fetal surgery. Pediatric Anesthesi 2017;27 4:31.
4. Vasco Ramírez M. Anesthesia for fetal surgery. Colombian Journal of Anesthesiology 2012;40 4:5.
5. Kha M. Tran . Anesthesia for fetal surgery. Semin Fetal Neonatal Med 2010;10 1:5.
6. Hans S, Bhavani S. Maternal Anesthesia for Fetal Surgery. Clin Perinatol 2013;40 3:14.
7. Kuczkowski K. Towards state-of-the-art anesthesia for fetal surgery: Obstacles and opportunities. Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 2013;60 1:4.
8. Bore J, Flores E, Bonetto R, Viceconte O. Anestesia fetal intrauterina. Rev Arg Anest 2001;59 5:4.
9. Gupta R, Kilby M, Cooper G. Fetal surgery and anaesthetic implications, Continuing Education in Anaesthesia. Crit Care Pain 2008;8 2:5.
10. Kumbhar V, Radhika M, Gundappa P, Simha J, Radhakrishnan P. Anaesthesia for foetoscopic Laser ablation- a retrospective study. Indian J Anaesth 2016;60 12:5.
11. Myersa L, Watchab M. Epidural versus General Anesthesia for Twin-Twin Transfusion Syndrome. Requiring Fetal Surgery. Fetal Diagn Ther 2004;19:6.
12. Fresneda M, Gómez L, Molina F, Romero Y, Padilla M. Hidrotórax fetal primario: experiencia propia y revisión de literatura. Diagnóstico prenatal 2012;23 4:7.
13. Eraslan S,Melekolu R, Çelik E. Extrauterine intrapartum treatment procedure in the unilateral advanced fetal hydrothorax case. Perinatal J 2015;23 1:5.
14. Yinon Y, Grisaru-Granovsky S, Chaddha V, Windrim R, Seaward P, Kelly E, et al. Perinatal outcome following fetal chest shunt insertion for pleural effusion. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2010;36:7.
The Sociedad Colombiana de Anestesiología y Reanimación (S.C.A.R.E.) is the owner of all copyrights to any articles published in the journal. Published manuscripts become the permanent property of S.C.A.R.E. and may not be published elsewhere without written permission. S.C.A.R.E. keeps the right to use these manuscripts in any form, including print, video, audio and digital.
Creative Commons License
Open-access articles can be read, downloaded and shared on a free basis upon publication. The Journal publishes all articles under the CCBY- NC-ND license. Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs: CC BY- NC-ND. Of the six main licenses, this is the most restrictive because it only allows others to download and share articles as long as they give credit to the author, but they cannot in any way change the paper or use it commercially.