Promoting research in pediatric anesthesiology
Over the past two years there has been increased interest in promoting research in anesthesia as an integral part of academic anesthesia practice in Colombia. The Colombian Symposium on Research in Anesthesia (organized by the Colombian Society of Anesthesiology and the Society of Anesthesiology and Reanimation of Antioquia) formulated and published guidelines to promote this effort. Despite these efforts, pediatric anesthesia is still a subspecialty in which very little research is done. In this opinion article we discuss why and how to promote research in pediatric anesthesia in Colombia.
2. Implementation of the Pediatric Exclusivity and Provisions. Statement of Janet Woodcock, MD before the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions on May 8; 2001. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Testimony/ucm115220.htm [accessed 26.07.12].
3. Plant LD, Bowers PN, Liu Q, Morgan T, Zhang T, State MW, et al. A common cardiac sodium channel variant associated with sudden infant death in African Americans. SCN5A S1103Y. J Clin Invest. 2006;116:430-5.
4. Relling MV, Yang W, Das S, Cook EH, Rosner GL, Neel M, et al. Pharmacogenetic risk factors for osteonecrosis of the hip among children with leukemia. Clin Oncol. 2004;22:3930-6.
5. Bhasker CR, McKinnon W, Stone A, Lo AC, Kubota T, Ishizaki T, et al. Genetic polymorphism of UDP-glucuronosyltransferase 2B7 (UGT2B7) at amino acid 268: ethnic diversity of alleles and potential clinical significance. Pharmacogenetics. 2000;10:679-85.
6. Klimentidis YC, Divers J, Casazza K, Beasley TM, Allison DB, Fernandez JR, et al. Ancestry-informative markers on chromosomes 2, 8 and 15 are associated with insulin-related traits in a racially diverse sample of children. Hum Genomics. 2011;5:79-89.
7. Bhananker SM, Ramamoorthy C, Geiduschek JM, Posner KL, Domino KB, Haberkern CM, et al. Anesthesia-related cardiac arrest in children: update from the Pediatric Perioperative Cardiac Arrest Registry. Anesth Analg. 2007;105:344-50.
8. Polaner DM, Taenzer AH, Walker BJ, Bosenberg A, Krane EJ, Suresh S, et al. Pediatric Regional Anesthesia Network (PRAN): A multi-institutional study of the use and incidence of complications of pediatric regional anesthesia. Anesth Analg. 2012;115:1353-64.
9. De Lourdes Levy M, Larcher V, Kurz R. Informed consent/assent in children. Statement of the Ethics Working Group of the Confederation of European Specialists in Paediatrics (CESP). Eur J Pediatr. 2003;162:629-33.
10. World Medical and Association. The Declaration of Helsinki. Ethical Principles for Medical Research Involving Human Subjects; 2012. http://www.wma.net/en/30publications/10policies/b3/ [accessed 20.07.12].
11. International Assembly for Pediatric Anesthesia; 2012. http://www.internationalassembly2012.org [accessed 14.08.12].
The Sociedad Colombiana de Anestesiología y Reanimación (S.C.A.R.E.) is the owner of all copyrights to any articles published in the journal. Published manuscripts become the permanent property of S.C.A.R.E. and may not be published elsewhere without written permission. S.C.A.R.E. keeps the right to use these manuscripts in any form, including print, video, audio and digital.
Creative Commons License
Open-access articles can be read, downloaded and shared on a free basis upon publication. The Journal publishes all articles under the CCBY- NC-ND license. Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs: CC BY- NC-ND. Of the six main licenses, this is the most restrictive because it only allows others to download and share articles as long as they give credit to the author, but they cannot in any way change the paper or use it commercially.