Vocal Cords Paralysis Following Infiltration of the Surgical Wound in Thyroid Surgery
Objective. Two cases of temporary paralysis of the vocal cords are discussed, in which recurrent injury of the laryngeal nerves, edema of the glottis and other common causes were ruled out.
Methodology. Case report.
Results. Infiltration of the surgical wound with local anesthetic at the end of the surgical procedure was considered a possible cause. No similar reports were found in the main databases. The decision was made to publish these cases in order to consider another possible cause of vocal cords paralysis following thyroidectomy.
2. Sinagra DL, Montesinos M, Tacchi VA, Moreno JC, Falco JE, Mezzadri NA e cols. Voice Changes after thyroidectomy without recurrent laryngeal nerve injury. Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 2004; 199:556-60.
3. Delgado García A. Anatomía humana funcional y Clínica. Editorial univalle, 1996; p 378-379.
4. Claudio R. Cernea, Lenine G. Brandado, Fla'vio C. Hojaij. How to minimize complications in thyroid surgery? Auris Nasus Larynx 37 (2010) 1-5.
5. Alessandro Bacuzzi, Gianlorenzo Dionigi, Andrea Del Bosco, Giovanni Cantone, Tommaso Sansone, Erika Di Losa, Salvatore Cuffari. Anaesthesia for thyroid surgery: Perioperative management. International Journal of Surgery 6 (2008) S82-S85
6. Marshall E. Smith, MD; Nelson Roy, PhD; Cathy Wilson, MS. Lidocaine Block of the Recurrent Laryngeal Nerve in Adductor Spasmodic Dysphonia: A Multidimensional Assessment. Laryngoscope 116: April 2006.
7. S. Sancho Fornos, J. Vaqué Urbaneja, J.L. Ponce Marco, R. Palasí Giménez y C. Herrera Vela. Complicaciones de la cirugía tiroidea. Cirugía española. Vol. 69, Marzo 2001, Número 3 (198-203).
8. J. J. Sancho, M. Pascual-Damieta, J. A. Pereira, M. J. Carrera, J. Fontan'e, A. Sitges-Serra. Risk factors for transient vocal cord palsy after thyroidectomy. British Journal of Surgery 2008; 95: 961-967
9. Seung Won Lee, Jae Wook Kim, Chan Hee Chung, Ji Oh Mok, Sung Shine Shim, Yoon Woo Koh, and Eun Chang Choi. Utility of Injection Laryngoplasty in the Management of Post-Thyroidectomy Vocal Cord Paralysis. Thyroid Surgery. Volume 20, Number 5, 2010
10. Matthias Echternach, Christoph Maurer, Thomas Mencke, Martin Schilling, Thomas Verse, Bernhard Richter. Laryngeal Complications After Thyroidectomy Is It Always the Surgeon? Arch surg/vol 144 (no. 2), Feb 2009.
The publisher (Sociedad Colombiana de Anestesiología y Reanimación S.C.A.R.E.) retains copyright for the published articles.
Creative Commons License
Articles published by Colombian Journal of Anesthesiology are licensed under the Creative Commons 4.0 license: Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs: CC BY-NC-ND.