Anesthetic management in two infants with cystic adenomatoid malformation - Case report
This case describes the anesthetic technique used in two symptomatic neonates with a prenatal diagnosis of cystic adenomatoid malformation that underwent surgery under general anesthesia at the San Ignacio University Hospital. One was under one-lung ventilation and ultrasound-guided caudal catheter analgesia and the second one with general anesthesia and two-lung ventilation.
A cystic adenomatoid malformation is a rare pathology with improved outcomes with early diagnosis and management, and a survival rate of over 95%.
2. MacSweeney F, Papagiannopoulos K, Goldstraw P, Sheppard MN, Corrin B, Nicholson AG. An assessment of the expanded classification of congenital cystic adenomatoid malformations and their relationship to malignant transformation. Am J Surg Pathol. 2003;27:1139-46.
3. Calvert JK, Lakhoo K. Antenatally suspected congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation of the lung: postnatal investigation and timing of surgery. J Pediatr Surg. 2007;42:411-4.
4. Sfakianaki A, Copel J. Congenital cystic lesions of the lung: congenital cystic adenomatoid malformatio and bronchopulmonary sequestration. Rev Obstet Gynecol. 2012;5:85-93.
5. Kotecha S, Barbato A, Bush A, Claus F Davenport M, Delacourt C, et al. Antenatal and postnatal management of congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation. Paediatr Resp Rev. 2012;13:162-71.
6. Braid R, Puligandla P, Laberge J. Congenital lung malformations: informing best practice. Semin Pediatr Surg. 2014;23:270-7.
7. Stanton M, Njere I, Ade-Ajayi N, Patel S, Davenport M. Systematic review and meta-analysis of the postnatal management of congenital cystic lung lesions. J Pediatr Surg. 2009;44:1027-33.
8. Tsai AY, Liechty KW, Hedrick HL, Bebbington M, Wilson RD, Johnson MP, et al. Outcomes after postnatal resection of prenatally diagnosed asymptomatic cystic lung lesions. J Pediatr Surg. 2008;43:513-7.
9. Rahman N, Lakhoo K. Comparison between open and thoracoscopic resection of congenital lung lesions. J Pediatr Surg. 2009;44:333-6.
10. Nasr A, Bass J. Thoracoscopic vs open resection of congenital lung lesions: a meta analysis. J Pediatr Surg. 2012;47:857-61.
11. Wall J, Coates A. Prenatal imaging and postnatal presentation diagnosis and management of congenital lung malformations. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2014;26:315-9.
The publisher (Sociedad Colombiana de Anestesiología y Reanimación S.C.A.R.E.) retains copyright for the published articles.
Creative Commons License
Articles published by Colombian Journal of Anesthesiology are licensed under the Creative Commons 4.0 license: Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs: CC BY-NC-ND.